july 4, 2018 - 2018-07-04
the triangle continues of courtney, boobear, & nyota - 2018-07-03
Cookie so cute telling, "Hello" to sparrows - 2018-07-01
lovebirb in love - 2018-06-30
wren with fluffffff - 2018-06-24
Read my new book, The 10 Best Things You Can Do For Your Bird at Amazon or at many other fine distributors like Barnes & Noble, iTunes, Kobo, and more.
By public demand, and after a delay of an embarrassing number of years, I've finally put my notorious essay, Ender and Hitler: Sympathy for the Superman, free on the fabulous internets.
A bibliography of my published books and stories.
Here's a simple card-counting FAQ to get you up to speed on the basics. Here's the true story of the notorious DD' blackjack team, told for the first time on the fabulous internets. No other team went from a starting investor's bankroll of zero to winning millions of dollars. |
|A Sadean take on Asimov's classic Three Laws of Robotics can be found in Roger Williams' NOW REVIEWED ON SLASHDOT!!!
The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect. Adult readers only please -- explicit sex and violence. For updates
on the "Dead Tree Project" and other topics, you may visit
the official fan site, Passages in the Void..
|My Bird Lists -- My Louisiana State Life List, My Yard List and, tah dah, My World Life List.|
|HEY! What happened to the Peachfront Conure Files? The world's only OFFICIAL Peachfront Conure site now features free peachfront conure coverage, including
a magazine length Intro to Conures previously published in American Cage-Bird Magazine, now free on the web. I offer the best free Peachfront Conure information on the internet. If you have great Peachfront Conure info, stories, or photos to share, contact me so I can publicize your pet, your breeding success, your great photograph, etc. on my site. Thanks.
seven snowy owls in an hour, what are you doing with YOUR life?
2015-02-03 - 8:09 p.m.
What a day. It was Minus 10 below zero when we set out on the great adventure. I'll put the bird list first, in case I run out of steam and have to update later. Pics coming too...
New life birds are in bold.
- Ruffed Grouse in the middle of the road was the first bird of the day, he flew up and perched in a twiggy tree roadside to be inspected in our light -- my first ever Grouse!!!!
- Sharp-Tailed Grouse -- my second ever Grouse was a lek of nine, yes, a lek in the snow, you learn something new every day...
- Black-backed Woodpecker went for the cheap laugh, making us hike out into the ice and snow of the woods to find first the female and then the beautiful yellow-crowned male...of course, once we'd seen the birds, the female then appeared by the side of the road!
- Snow Buntings
- Pileated Woodpecker -- evidently these birds are more snow tolerant than one might easily believe
- Mallard (zillions)
- Pintailed Duck
- American Black Duck
- Common Goldeneye
- Snowy Owl-we crossed into Wisconsin into the grumpy little refinery town which boasted at least seven individual Snowy Owls -- maybe more, but we were sure of seven, thanks to the differences in their markings (age, sex, some bander put black on their head if he caught em, another put black on the tail, and one poor male boasted both of those marks plus a number two wingtag -- this last bird was hanging out on the refinery's private property on the other side of the fence, no doubt thinking no one would be able to get him for further banding there.)
That's the results-oriented short version. We also took quite a tour of the stunning scenery of the Northshore of Lake Superior finding -- among other things -- vast quantities of snow and ice clogging the lake, a rock shop that boasted the most amazing Laker I will ever hope to see, and a whackadoo who did not succeed in his evil plan to hijack the wily tourists and who was not the famous sniper guy of Stickney Road but was a perhaps new and hithertoo undiscovered crazy.
Sniper guy, as the name suggests, apparently prefers gunplay. Although we did pass by Sniper Guy's shack a couple of times but decided it was probably uncool to slow down to photo the "Combat Marine Sniper Trepassers Will Be Perforated" sign....Shit yeah, I'm paraphrasing, I'm in a rush and CBA to get the exact wordage of psycho killer's sign right but give me a few days...
As far as the motiveless attack on us was concerned...The important thing is we kept our heads in an isolated area with no cell service, made the right evasive maneuvers, and lived to bird another day...I was quite impressed by C's driving and felt rather like I'd been in a film.
More pics, more story sometime soon...right now the plan is to turn in early and get up at the crack of 3 AM for the Spruce Grouse hunt or something like it. We won't be passing on the Crazy Thinks-He's-Costarring-In-Duel-Guy's road again so nobody worry about all that.
CBA = Can't Be Arsed
back - next
All Rights Reserved, Copyright 2002-2017 by Elaine Radford